Thursday, May 26, 2016

My favorite place to buy books


These days I can scarcely pass by our local D.I. (Deseret Industries, ie. good will) without making a quick turn into the parking lot and bee-lining it to the books section. It combines three of my loves: treasure hunting, getting a good deal, and reading. It's a win!

I ALWAYS find something good when I go. At best it's a fun activity and at worst it's an addiction. Whatever it is, it gives me pure JOY. In fact, I believe God speaks to me through the books I find at D.I. It may sound crazy, but too many times I've found JUST THE THING I've needed to learn at that time in my life. The books jump out at me and I add them to my small stack and wonder what message I'm meant to learn. When I was struggling with my son, I found the perfect parenting book. Seriously life-changing! One day when I was really depressed I found Dante's Divine Comedy--the book that was on the TOP of my to-read list at the time. And it was in perfect condition. I KNOW God put it there for me to find. I felt it when I picked it up. It was this funny little tender mercy. 

I should mention here that I believe in buying books at full-price to support the author. The books I get at D.I. are ones I typically wouldn't purchase at all. That's what's so fun about the experience. It makes the whole "finding the right message for me" a pleasant surprise. There are exceptions, such as the case with Divine Comedy. That one was sitting in my CART on Amazon at home. But I figure Dante's not getting any of the proceeds from his books now anyway. Ha ha. Also, I end up spending a decent amount on new books every year, so I don't feel bad getting a good deal now and then.

The other thing is I feel good about supporting our local D.I. Usually, I'll return the books after I read them for them to be sold again. I will keep a book, however, if it becomes an unexpected favorite. Such was the case with The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and Eat, Pray, Love. That's what makes it different from the library. I do enjoy the library, but it doesn't give me the same thrill as D.I. does.

I'd like to invite you to share the joy. Donate your books to D.I. Not just old crappy ones, but good ones that may not be your favorites. Don't let them just sit on your bookshelf never to be touched again. See the literal "good will" that can come to your life with this practice. And in turn, check out what books you might find for $1 or $1.50. 

Yesterday's haul includes Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple, And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie, The Life-Changing Art of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (I've heard a lot of buzz about this lately), and Super Smoothies (you never know).

Have you ever found a great book at good will? One that has changed your life? It happens to me almost every time I go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment