Monday, October 28, 2013

One of the sweetest books I've read in a long time


"You can't blend in when you were born to stand out."

It’s been ages since I enjoyed a book as much as I enjoyed Wonder. It’s the story of a boy, August, who has a craniofacial anomaly (he calls it a “mushed-up face”) and it chronicles his fifth grade year in a new school. It’s a middle grade novel, but worthy to be loved by anyone of any age. And I did.

By the end, I was so in love with August (Auggie) that I wished I would’ve had a friend like him growing up. Everyone should have a friend like Auggie.

Wonder is honest about the good and bad in humanity while inspiring greater kindness and empathy. It offers a completely unique perspective while at the same time being relatable to anyone, if that makes any sense at all.

This book would be a great discussion starter. As soon as my son gets a few years older, I want him to read it. Even better, we can read it together. At age 5 he’s still in that magical time where differences aren’t that big of a deal. They’ll become so all too soon.

In a word, this book is sweet. No spoilers here. It’s just plain sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment